The Brides Project (TBP) opened in September 2011.We are a nonprofit organization of volunteers dedicated to raising funds for the programs of the Cancer Support Community (CSC) of Greater Ann Arbor through the sale of donated bridal gowns. Once-worn gowns donated by brides or unsold gowns donated by bridal shops are available for brides-to-be to purchase at a considerable savings. All profits from the sale of the gowns go to the CSC to support programs and services for people touched by cancer.
Our inspiration to start this project came to us from Helen Sweet, who started The Brides Project in Canada. She graciously allowed us to take this idea to the United States. If you are a bride in Canada, please visit her website www.thebridesproject.com.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Q: How much are your gowns?
- A: Our dresses generally range from $200 to $1000 with a few below or above this range. The average cost of our dresses is $500.
- Q: How does my dress help people and families affected by cancer?
- A: The sale of your dress helps fund programs and services at the Cancer Support Community of Greater Ann Arbor for things like support groups, counseling services, educational workshops, nutrition classes, stress management, and more.
- Q: What is the Cancer Support Community of Greater Ann Arbor?
- A: The CSC of Greater Ann Arbor is an affiliate of the largest and most comprehensive nonprofit program in the country devoted solely to providing emotional support and education to people with cancer, their caregivers, and children – all free of charge. The Ann Arbor CSC is a grassroots organization founded by a group of committed community volunteers, each personally touched by cancer. In our local community, special efforts have been made to ensure that the CSC is truly serving all people affected by cancer, including those often underserved.
Please vist www.cancersupportannarbor.org for more information.
- Q: How do I donate my gown?
- A: Great question! Visit our donation section for all the details.
- Q: Is my gown donation tax deductible?
- A: Yes! When you donate your gown, please let us know that you would like a receipt, and we will mail one to you.
- Q: Do I need to get my wedding gown cleaned before I donate it?
- A: We would really appreciate if you could have your gown cleaned before you donate it. However, if you can’t, we would rather you donate it as is than not at all!
- Q: What can I expect at The Brides Project Salon?
- A: You can expect a fun, amazing experience! Our bridal consultants are warm, friendly, and welcoming. We want you to feel beautiful and excited, not stressed, about finding a dress for your big day! We do ask that you be careful with our gowns. Every gown here could be someone’s wedding dress, so they must be treated with respect.
- Q: How can I arrange to try on dresses?
- A: You must make an appointment.
- Q: What should I wear to my appointment?
- A: Please do NOT wear any makeup. This is absolutely essential! Otherwise, feel free to wear comfortable clothing and bring clean, dry footwear for safety and comfort.
- Q: What should I bring on appointment day?
- A: Please do NOT bring any food or beverages to our salon. But we encourage you to eat something before you come so that any fainting is only due to excitement, not hunger.
Be prepared to say “Yes!” to the dress and bring a MasterCard or Visa with you.
- Q: Can I browse your inventory of dresses online?
- A: Due to the high turnover rate of our inventory, we only post examples of gowns that come in to our salon. Call or email us with what you are looking for, and we can review our inventory and get back with you.